How Colloidal Silver May Combat the Cold
Do you dread being in the office or on a train with someone who has a streaming cold, knowing it’s only a matter of time before you catch it? Or worry about getting on a flight because of the recycled air knowing you’ll get a cold on your holiday or business trip? Colloidal silver may be able to help you!
The History of Silver in the Medical World
The use of silver in the medical world has had a resurgence over the past years, but the use of silver for its medical qualities has a long history:
- Hippocrates who is known as ‘The Father of Medicine’ knew about the properties of using silver.
- In ancient Greece, water and liquids were kept fresh by storing them in silver vessels.
- The Roman Empire stored wine in silver urns to prevent spoilage.
- The use of silver is mentioned in ancient Egyptian writings.
- Troops used silver leaf during World War I to stop and overcome infection of wounds sustained in battle.
- Before the introduction of antibiotics, colloidal silver was used widely in hospitals and has been known as a bactericide for at least 1200 years.
- Doctors successfully used silver sutures as early as the 1800’s.
Today, hospital door handles/plates are being made of silver, the use of silver dressings and plasters all designed to kill bacteria and help to reduce the spread of infection, has increased. According to the Silver Institute, many hospitals are using silver-embedded equipment including surgical tools, stethoscopes, catheters, needles and even paper files to help stop the spread of MRSA.[i]
Classed as a homeopathic remedy, colloidal silver is actually a mineral. There are differing views on the usefulness of colloidal silver, but there is documented evidence as well as many individual’s testimonies, that silver has an antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal effect.
How does it work?
Through chemical reactions with oxygen and sulfhydryl groups that surround bacteria and virus cells, silver prevents virus and bacteria cells from being able to carry out the function of cellular respiration. Stopping this process from happening means that the virus or bacteria cell cannot survive; cellular respiration is an essential life-preserving process for the cells. Silver can also bind with the cell membrane of bacteria cells to prevent the cellular respiration from occurring[ii].
The benefits of colloidal silver
Colloidal silver has been proven;-
- To act as an antibacterial, help in wound care and healing.
- To act as an antifungal for fungal skin conditions and may benefit skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Colloidal silver benefits can be experienced as an antiviral for HIV/AIDS, pneumonia, herpes, shingles and warts[iii].
- As an anti-inflammatory, it has been shown to soothe and reduce inflammation of the skin.
- Documented to help with sinusitis and also to relieve underlying pathogen infections leading to some air-borne allergies[iv].
- Viral pneumonia can be helped using colloidal silver through a nebuliser straight into the lungs.
How colloidal silver can help colds and flu
As an antibacterial and antiviral, colloidal silver can be really useful in helping prevent colds and flu or to help with symptoms if you do have either of them. Using colloidal silver in the form of a nasal spray can help in various ways;-
- By lining the inner nasal membranes any pathogens breathed in through the nose can be stopped before infiltrating the lungs and the body.
- If you have already have a common cold or the flu, using the nasal spray will carry the silver into the lungs allowing it to fight infection. Spraying the back of the throat can help with sore throats and throat infections.
- Using a nasal spray of colloidal silver before you get into a crowded train carriage, on a bus or plane or go into the office or school/college when colds are doing the rounds, may help you to avoid the cold altogether or to have lessened symptoms.
The Importance of Using the Correct Form of Colloidal Silver
Easily available in health shops and the internet, there are three forms of silver products that are often marketed as colloidal silver. Ionic silver solution, silver protein and ‘True’ colloidal silver. Ionic silver solution and silver protein are the two most popular types of product on the market as they are cheaper to make. They do not have the same benefits as true colloidal silver, and there have been cases of misuses of these products resulting in bluish skin discolouration.
‘True’ colloidal silver consists of nano-sized particles so does not contain any proteins or additives.
Please note – It is advised to seek advice before taking or using any homeopathic remedy and for dosage, period of use and any contraindications.