The Role and Styles
- Making the change to being a supervisor or team leader
- Understanding your preferred management style: Insights Personality Profiling
- The role and responsibilities as a supervisor/team leader
- Key management tasks and competencies
- People management/HR policies and procedures: understanding the process and how to manage performance problems such as discipline and attendance
- The importance of confidentiality – communication restrictions
- Understanding and managing your priorities
- Managing time, yourself and others
- How to delegate to those who were previously your peers
- Understanding how motivation works
- Giving feedback in a constructive way
- Key elements to effective 1:2:1 and team meetings
- Managing and driving change effectively respond successfully to organisational change, and to effectively overcome any potential barriers and resistance
Team Development and Performance Management
- Assessing current skills. Identifying areas for improvement and development in yourself and others
- Conducting effective appraisals
- Developing your team through on-the-job training, coaching and mentoring
- How to introduce and monitor individual Personal Action Plans
- How and when to use the different management styles
Dealing with Problems
- Learning to be assertive in difficult situations and overcome barriers to assertiveness
- Managing difficult members of the team
- Dealing with under-performance
- Communicating objectives and expectations
Goals and Targets
- Controlling the process by which goals and targets are met.
- Setting effective goals and SMART objectives
- How to handle problems, consider alternatives and their implications and decide on the most appropriate solution.
Who should attend?
Managers and senior supervisors who have gained experience of managing people but who have received little or no formal training. This course is designed for individuals who are looking to enhance their people management skills as a way of increasing their overall performance and that of their team.